Tuesday, March 9, 2010

me talk pretty one day



by David Sedaris

On a recent venture on a plane, I perused the airport book store for something fun to read. I came across this book, and a friend had recommended a book by the same author, and let's face it, the cover intrigued me. Purchase made. Let the telling begin!

David Sedaris is hilarious. Every chapter/essay stands on its own and they are brilliantly and comically written. There were times when I laughed out loud without realizing that yes, I am in an airport/on an airplane or in any place where sitting by yourself and laughing out loud might be construed as slightly odd. His words drew me in, I had to know how he was going to survive the speech teacher, and would he indeed ever talk pretty one day. He doesn't seem to care about social decorum and I LOVE IT! He tells things like they are and doesn't hold back the stuff that would be shocking to most people (I work in an ER..it takes a lot to shock me these days). His battle with drugs, his life in Paris, his childhood, all are explored in this collection.

If you have a chance to read this or any other David Sedaris work, please do it. You will laugh. Guaranteed.

1 comment:

  1. Kara my love! David Sedaris makes me die with every turn of the page! Please read "Dress your family in corduroy and denim" Please.

    ReplyDelete