Monday, February 8, 2010

I am the Messenger


by Markus Zusak

I finished reading this book last night. I thought to put books from last year on first, but this one is fresh in my mind, so it gets the top spot.

Ed Kennedy, the loveable and pitiable hero of this novel makes you want to keep reading. After an unlikely bank robbery goes wrong, Ed begins to get Aces out of a deck of cards that force him into helping (and sometimes hurting) those he comes in contact with. I wanted Ed to succeed, and to find the things that make him better. He reminds me of people in my life that I have seen not living up to their potential, and his failures and triumphs are very real. Every page brings a new challenge for Ed, and leaves the reader anticipating the next Ace. Markus Zusak brings love, anticipation, anger, frustrations, sadness and success to his characters in a beautiful way.

I enjoyed this book a great deal. Mr Zusak has given me insight into life and this is the second of his novels that I have read and been impressed with. (You WILL see his name again...)I would recommend this book for many reasons: it is inventive, creative, true to life, sad, joyous, and I loved it!! Enjoy!! (I sure did)

1 comment:

  1. You have piqued my curiosity. Perhaps this blog will force me to put my own nose in a book. I am interested.

    ReplyDelete